Sunday, March 24, 2013

Of Hwoopin' Cough, St. Patty's Parades, Birthday Murder Parties, and Doug's Concert

So we're sick. The whole mess of us. I think we've all got the whooping cough. Oh, sorry, I meant the "hwoopin'" cough. Whew, almost turned my back on my Idaho roots there. Anyway, I think Ting-Ting had it first and then passed it on to me and Alyssa. With Ting-Ting, you would never have known she was sick, aside from the cyclones of coughing and Kilaueas of molten snot. Sickness never drained a drop of her precious gimshee stores. Me and Alyssa, however, pretty much want to just lie down and go to sleep all the time, wherever we happen to be--eating, driving, using power tools, etc. You know the feeling, I'm sure. This morning I almost fell asleep on the couch after breakfast. AFTER BREAKFAST. You know, like, twenty minutes after actually waking up. So yeah, we're pretty out of it.

So last Saturday we went to the St. Patrick's day parade downtown. I'm still not sure what to think. On the one hand, there were plenty of entries involving ponies and dogs, which are always fun, especially the ones where the dogs walk right up to you and you can mess with them. Plus, as we were leaving we saw my old roommate Wes, who I guess is now into Irish dancing and was a performer in one of the entries. (I always knew something good had to come from those pathetic dance parties he used to throw in our apartment.) On the other hand, some of the entries were really strange, like one that must have been half a football field long featuring people dressed as giant beers. Also, the candy situation was pretty lacking. Poor Alyssa--I mean, Ting-Ting.

The evening of the same day as the parade, we attended Brayden's birthday party. As mentioned in my last post, the big activity of the evening was the interactive murder mystery "Harvey Pooter and the Deathly Death Curse of Death," written by a certain fellow who shall not be named but occasionally posts to a blog and almost died in a Jello-sucking contest during his senior year of high school. Said mystery starred Brayden as Harvey Pooter, third-year student at Warthogs Institute of Magical Bull Honky; Becca/McKell as his friend Hermina Stranger; Sayuri as his on/off girlfriend Janie Woozley; Kenji as school bully Dorko Malcontent; Alyssa as the kooky hippie Loonie Lovestruck; Shawn as headmaster Clancy Bumblemore; Grandma as Professor Minnie McGillicuddy; and Nate as the newest professor of Protection Against Bad Juju, Sir Nigel Hotpants. Oh, and me as Detective Vance Goozler. Good times were definitely had in abundance, and nobody figured out who the murderer was, though a few people were on the right track. Alyssa wants me to try to market the whole thing, which might be a good idea if I were to first do some major revisions. However, considering that I worked for about two straight months on the dang thing, I'm kind of sick of it for the time being. But who knows, maybe in the future.

Last night we attended a piano concert of my uncle Dave's brother, Doug Humpherys, who you may remember as the guy who belted out Liszt's devil dance "Mephisto Waltz" during Dave's funeral a few years ago at my dad's request. (Okay, technically it was during the luncheon. But it was still in the chapel.) The other memory my family has of Doug is when Sheridan and I attended a master class he put on at Tuacahn, and to help one of the other students in the class get a feel for how the main theme in Chopin's "Revolutionary Etude" should be played, he kept singing the words "Please marry me! You must be JO-KING!" (I'm sure that's a lot funnier if you actually know the song. If not, go listen to it now. That's an order.) Anyway, Doug put on a great performance last night. (Although I'll admit I was a little annoyed at the time that he didn't play any Prokofiev.) Meanwhile, my dad baby-sat Ting-Ting, which went smoothly after she showed him where the diapers were kept, put on her own jammies, and figured out how to run the DVD player all by her lonesome.


The fabulous Warthogs dining hall, complete with floating candles (handmade by Harvey himself the night before the murder).

Clockwise from left: Hermina Stranger, Clancy Bumblemore, Detective Goozler, Janie Woozley, Dorko Malcontent, Loonie Lovestruck, Minnie McGillicuddy, Harvey Pooter. Plus some extra Warthogs kids who just slipped into the picture. Not pictured: Sir Nigel Hotpants. 

Professor McGillicuddy in a sleek and stylish "Hefty Bag" dress she made herself. 

0 Comments: