Sunday, May 20, 2012

Of Ward Financial Guys, Salmonella-Themed Birthday Parties, Forced Twitting, Wedding Cupcakes, and Ting Ting Progress

Howdy dee. Seeing as how it's been a while since my last "legit" post, there's a lot to catch up on. So let's get right to it.

  • I was called as the ward "financial guy." (I believe this is the accepted term as put forth by the Brethren, if I'm not mistaken.) So, in all, this now makes five callings, if we count home teaching as a calling. Every Sunday since I was called as the financial guy, I've expected the bishop to call me in to his office, express his apologies at overburdening me for the last month, and release me from three of said callings on the spot. But no. One of these days, I'm just going to up and announce that Alyssa and I are moving, just to see the look of terror on his face from knowing that the ward is about to fall to pieces like Pinocchio in a wood chipper. (But seriously, it's been fine. I kid because I love.) 
  • Eden turned four and had a birthday party, for which Bethany made cake balls in the shape of leukocytes and salmonella. Seriousy. They were both basically brownie balls dipped in white chocolate; the only difference was that the salmonella had licorice "flagella." Did I mention that this was all specially requested by Eden herself? Mm-hmm. She may be barely four, but I'll bet she already knows more about microbiology than most college students. See what you're responsible for, Tyson? (You should have seen the library book on Ebola she had Bethany check out for her while we were in Grand Junction. On second though, be glad you didn't. It was pretty disgusting.) 
  • My work has instituted a "social media experiment" wherein we're supposed to complete a bumload of tasks using 29 different social media applications and earn "badges." So basically, it's like working towards becoming an Eagle Scout, the only difference being that if you don't get your Eagle, you get shot down by girls at BYU, whereas if you don't get Domo badges, you get fired. Simple as that. Anyway, I've completed 12 out of the 29 badges so far and seem to be doing pretty well, though I probably won't get every one, as I would sooner listen to a Lady Gaga album than send a tweet. (Or, as Alyssa calls it, a "twit." Is it any wonder I love that girl?) Our office is supposedly moving to a new location this week--two freeway exits closer, so that's nice, though I've just heard mention that the air outside is "a little foul," on account of there's a composting business nearby. Ooh-da-lally, can't wait.  
  • Alyssa and I spent much of our free time over the past week planting flowers in the front (including the striped petunias I've been wanting to try the last three or so years) and veggies in the back. So we'll have cucumber, squash, tomatoes, basil, peppers, eggplant, and onions, plus the strawberries and artichoke from last year. Go Farmer Green and wife.
  • Yesterday we played flute and piano at the wedding of one of Alyssa's friends from work, and loveliness was the word of the day. Oh yeah, Alyssa also provided half of the total refreshments--50 cupcakes, which she was up and decorating at 5:30 in the morning. It's not like people are rushing up to her the day before, crying, "Oh, Alyssa, I need your help! I'm getting married tomorrow morning and I need someone to do everything except provide luncheon fruit and paint my nails!" and she feels obligated. Nah. She just volunteers.
As for the Ting Ting situation, in case you were wondering, our paperwork is currently in Washington, D.C., getting authenticated. If all goes well and those Washington D.C.-ites get off of their federal duffets, it should be sent back to the agency this week, at which point it will go off to China. From there, it just needs to be authenticated by the Chinese embassy, and then we can start making our travel plans. Tingy's room is pretty much ready to go. We put up her closet doors for the first time in three years, and Alyssa also bought her her very own HAT STAND. She's already on her way to becoming a full-fledged Green.


Trey venting a little pent-up frustration at our ward Cinco de Mayo party. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we had a ward Cinco de Mayo party. It was all right.


Now see, this is why we got a bird. 



3 Comments:

HLR said...

"YOU DANG KIDS GET OUTTA MY CUCUMBER PATCH!!!"-- Farmer Green after blasting his shotgun.

Freementia said...

for the 4 year old geek in training. http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/6708/?srp=2

Mike Freeman

Ben, Alyssa, and Ting-Ting Green said...

Yep, Mike, she's already got, like, six of those. She can't sleep at night without her stuffed leukocyte by her side.